Phil's Observations

Friday, December 31, 2004

Time for a new puter

OK. It's time to get a new puter. Mine really isn't that old, a 2001 Compaq Presario. It's got a 900Mhz processor, 256Mb memory, and Windows XP. It runs alright, but it's not as fast as I would like or have the memory I'd like. The thing I love about the system - even though its not actually part of the computer, is the 21 inch crt monitor. I love big monitors.

Here's what I want, and I want it. Please, if you have any good ideas, share them. Here's what I don't need: a printer and scanner. Everything else is up for grabs. Oh, one more parameter: I don't want to spend more than $1500 for the thing. Yeah, I know, I am probably dreaming. LOL.

  1. At least 512Mb RAM. I'd like 1GB, but am not sure if I really need it. I usually run multiple applications at once, often times Office apps.
  2. I'm not sure exactly what I want for hard drive(s). I've got two thoughts, but I am not sure which way to go. The first idea is to have two drives, one for media storage and the other for the operating system and general work & stuff. The other idea is to have two drives, but have it set up that the second just operates as a backup to the primary.
  3. I really, really want a huge monitor. I'm interested in a LCD-TV, but that alone will probably run me over my budget. I'll probably settle for a simple flat panel. BUT, again costs plays a big factor here. It would have to be a 19+ inch flat panel.
  4. I definitely need two optical drives, for the simple fact that I want to be able to copy data from one to the other. So one of them is going to be a CDRW. The question at hand is should the second one be a DVD or a DVD recorder? Too bad I don't have all the cash I would need to get the ultimate system for me.
  5. I haven't used a floppy in years. I guess there's no need for one of them any more.
  6. Oh, I need a new speaker system. The one I have is dying. I really don't need a whole heck of a lot here, just a couple of speakers and a subwoofer.
  7. I need a lot of USB drives. I've got 6 devices that use USB.
  8. I don't need a firewire... at least not yet.
  9. I definitely need to go beyond intergrated graphics and sound. Here, though, I am not an expert and need to think about what I need or want here.
  10. Did I cover everything?

There are so many choices when it comes to computer manufacturers. Do I go with a national brand or go customized? Of course, Dell, Gateway (yuck), and HP come to mind. I need to look over my PC World magazines and refresh my memory.

LMAO. How that I think about it, I'd better start saving up for this new puter.


Kicknit 12/31/2004

0 Comments:

Add a comment